Friday, August 24, 2012

First Day of School!

Hello!

Welcome to my little blog.  You may remember me from my incredibly famous (ha, not) blog, Coffee Conundrum, on which I believe I posted a total of three times, until life got in the way.

However, now I'm back! My head is full to bursting with fleeting thoughts, ideas, ramblings and goofiness and I feel the need to write it all down.  I want to write about all this life stuff that I used to think was just getting in my way.

I'm a second year grad student at The Ohio State University (yes, we are obnoxious like that- we capitalize and always over-pronounce the word "THE" in our school's title) in Public Administration and I think the program is great; I also happen to work in the student affairs office of my program, which pays my tuition and offers me a wee stipend to live on, which is awesome, since otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford grad school.  I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity.

However.

Due to recent legislation, public colleges and universities in Ohio are now required to utilize a semester schedule as opposed to one based on quarters.  I did my undergraduate work at Ohio University (notice, no "THE." I'm often torn between pride for my current institution and four years of laughing at the insufferable arrogance of OSU).  Both my schools were on quarters until this year- and as a result this is my first ever experience with college semesters.

My first day of class was Wednesday, August 22nd.

Last year at Ohio State, and during the previous four years at OU, I wouldn't have been starting class until late September.  Another MONTH!  This week it's been nearing 90 degrees in Columbus, and I'm trying to adjust to having class in what I long considered the midst of summer.  I saw the first day of school on my calendar and excitedly pulled out my boots, jeans, and a variety of fall weather shirts, until I realized I might look a smidge out of place (or you know, die of heatstroke) among the sundresses, short-shorts and sandals that semester-goers wear on the first day of school

Oh well.  I'll graduate in early May, as opposed to mid-June.  Think positive!  My dear boots, you'll have to wait a few weeks til the weather cools down to real school fall weather. 

*Sigh*

:) Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment